Sunday, October 12, 2014

mmhm

of course, if I make an update, it's definitely about books. correction: it's about a book.

Across the Universe by Beth Revis is by far the FLATTEST book I've read.

yeah you never thought you'd see the day I'd have a negative review on a book right?

but seriously.

content:
1. lack of depth
2. going no where
3. I forgot I'll fill this in if I remember unnecessary info

part 1: lack of depth

basically, it was so... nothing. just a huge bunch of descriptives without actual proper building up of the setting itself in one chunk (okay it sorta did, but it was so brief and immediately lapsed into some sort of reaction). I think throughout the whole book, it was still mentioning how the ship was oriented and what the people did. like, WHY don't you just tell me everything about it at the start? I mean, okay, 1st person POV, but seriously? why do I care about weird cows in the middle of the story? it makes me feel that the whole book was so unplanned. and it's also so white and black.

part 2: going no where

it doesn't make me feel like I care about any of the characters or ANYTHING in the entire book (except one person and he then goes on to kill himself, thanks). the plot does NOT captivate me at all. what was the main plot even? I don't want to know what happens next, because I'm pretty sure it won't make a difference to anything. the romance was unrealistic and so lightly touched on, it shouldn't even be there, it doesn't help anything. 1st person POV should give plenty of room for useful emotions to help the plot, but all the guy feels is... jealousy? (okay he gets angry at some points but really it didn't portray much) I don't understand.

part 3: unnecessary info

it was a crapton full of fillers and things that make me feel like the author was tryna meet some word quota and make the book thicker no matter what it took. who cares about Jason? who cares about Eldest trying to make Elder find the third cause of discord like 50 times? why didn't he just guess something? I couldn't even form my own opinions about what was happening in the book, all the characters' opinions were thrust at me to choose from. if the author was trying to write an expository essay, this would be good, but most of the book was so unnecessary. I would have had more fun trying to guess things in the book, but I was like "oh don't bother, it'll be revealed in 5 seco- oh there it is."

all in all, some parts of the book were good, like how the freezing took place (intro), which was quite captivating and exciting, and parts where I felt despair for the "250 years", but it wasn't the best dystopian scifi ever. okay, it was quite bad. I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone, but I have the sequel and I'll read it, just to see if it's better.

I'll do a real BLOG blog kinda update okay :/ maybe in the afternoon yeah?

-love, lynn-

Edit: hey, now I've got the blogger app on my phone, so I might be posting more! But the reviews on the play store say this app sucks, but I'm tired of using my browser (not that it's bad, I just like apps you know). And... I've finished reading A Million Suns, and I think it was better than Across the Universe. I'll read the third book (forgot what it's called tho) soon enough. And since I'm lazy to make a new post, here'll be my proper update :3

O level chinese is going to be on 4 nov, which is less than a month away, and I'm terrified. Not a little terrified, but a LOT terrified. I have to make a checklist:

1. Review terms saved in pleco.
2. Zonghetiankong

I'm scared of not passing so many subjects this year, especially a math. I'll have to really work hard next year I guess. I'll admit it, this year I did a lot of trying out of different and new hobbies and wasting time and not caring about my results (like the "development" part of a sonata) but next year, I'll be working my ass off to get good marks. I'll make this promise to myself. I won't let myself down.

Alright that's all, signing off for the second time,
Lynn